Why proximity marketing matters in 2015
How does it work?
Proximity marketing with beacons involves setting up a bluetooth enabled mobile device at a particular spot within the range of the beacon and passing information in the form of text, images or video via the respective mobile app. There are a number of must-haves required to employ this marketing technique. They are:
1. First of all, the consumer should be using a Bluetooth enabled mobile device at the location where the proximity marketing technique is being applied.
2. A beacon must be deployed in the area where the consumer is currently located, in order to send out and receive marketing messages or other information.
3. The targeted consumer should have downloaded the relevant mobile application and installed it on his or her phone that is capable of receiving push notifications.
What are the 3 must-haves for proximity marketing?
Again when it comes to beacon deployment there are a number of factors to consider, starting from available power arrangements to choosing the right kind of beacon. We have discussed about 5 such crucial factors in one of our earlier blog posts. Once the brand deploys a beacon in the spot chosen for promotion, the communication occurs in 3 quick steps. They are:
1. Device detection: A Beacon scans for bluetooth enabled mobile devices in its proximity range while it broadcasts its ID number (which is unique to a particular beacon in that location) at regular intervals. The proximity-aware mobile app will also carry a list of ID numbers of all the beacons that have been activated and will associate them with their location. Once the device matches a beacon’s ID with the ID held in the proximity-aware mobile app, it lets the app know that the beacon is nearby.
2. Permission request: For each bluetooth enabled mobile device detected within the proximity range of the beacon, it will send requests to consumers seeking permission to communicate with their mobile device.
3. Content upload: Once the consumer grants permission, depending on how the app has been configured, it will then notify the consumer with an alert on the lock-screen, displaying the corresponding message. Tapping on the message opens the app, at a screen displaying personalized marketing messages including text, images, audio and video about products found at that spot chosen for promotion or a complementary product found one aisle away.
How proximity marketing works?
As proximity marketing gains momentum and moves beyond trial stages, we will see brands go on to use beacons to gather a rich collection of consumer data which in turn will enable brands to communicate better with their customers resulting in a positive impact on the bottom line.